Wednesday 7 February 2018

BRILLIANT " FIND & REPLACE" TOOL FOR GOOGLE BLOGS

It is very complicated. Call an expert. 
7th FEB 2018.

A few days ago I made the horrible mistake of changing the name of this blog from Sci-Fi Future Fact and Fiction to my own name Noel Hodson. Then I spent days adding LABELS to my 472 Posts. A long job. But that worked and created categories for my thousands (or maybe dozens) of visitors to find items of interest. So far so good.

Then I discovered that Google Search for "Noel Hodson Blog" which for years has quickly found my blogspot, told searchers "The blog has been deleted and no longer exists." It seems that years of patient slow promotion is wasted. Ah well - I can promote the stuff again with its new address - and Google will catch-up.

BUT, I then discovered that all the interlinks between my 472 essays had been corrupted. Clicking them also found a 404 error page - "This Blog has been Deleted" - "So you can all sod off". There are approximately 4,000 such hyperlinks which are part of the continuity of my arguments. I found out how to EDIT the fine text in computer-speak language for the links. Very carefully (I know nothing of software) I deleted the old and substituted the new phrase within the links. And they worked. But, 5 such links took me half an hour to update - only 3,995 to go. Suicide and despair.

I went for a walk and Search & Find & Replace in WORD came to mind. Could I somehow copy the blog to WORD, replace the old phrases and insert the new? But I recalled the last time I tried that, for just one essay, WORD kept the illustrations but on return to Google - they all got deleted. I had the text and had to manually replace the pictures. Not feasible for 472 Posts.  I searched on the internet - and found Adam Lewis. His fix worked - free of charge. After it was fixed his site suggested a donation. I sent him US$50. Brilliant tool, explained simply enough for a 75 year old non-techie to use. No tricks. No BUNDLE to sign into - the sort that sabotages your customary habits and layouts. 

The US should award him a medal of honour - or honor, even. Thank you Mr Lewis. 

Blogger Find & Replace :: adam lewis

www.adamwlewis.com/articles/blogger-find-replace

20 Jul 2012 - Does a find and replace on an entire Blogger website.

How to Perform a Search & Replace in Blogger - Designer Blogs

https://www.designerblogs.com/perform-search-replace-blogger/

8 Jul 2017 - Then hit the “Transfer me to Google so I can authorize this tool” button. Once you hit the button you will be transferred to Google. If you are not already logged into your site, it will prompt you to log in. Then click the big blue “Allow” button to allow the search and replace tool to be activated on your blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment